This Lent Family Devotion is a big one for our girls. A few weeks ago when we talked about Jesus being the light and turned off the lights in our house, the girls freaked out in fear. They are scared to go back to the laundry room and get their shoes because it is dark back there. We are continually reinforcing the idea that when we are scared we need to pray to God for strength. Read the rest of this entry
- Tonight we are going on a little walk before our family time
- Light a candle
- Turn off all the lights in your house
- Walk around your house with your kids and have them follow you as you hold the candle
- What was it like walking around the house with just a candle?
- What would have happened if we didn’t have the candle?
- Tonight we are going to learn about another statement that Jesus said about himself and it has something to do with this candle
- Read John 8:12
- “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
- How is Jesus the light of the world?
- Do you remember a story in the Old Testament about how God made a pillar of fire to show the Israelites where to go in the desert?
- In the same way Jesus shows us how we can live like him
- What is one thing Jesus gives us as a guidebook to show us how to live like him? (the Bible)
- How does the Bible show us how to live?
- Without the Bible and without Jesus we wouldn’t know how to live our lives
- Application question: What is one way that you can live like Jesus this week?
- Daily application question at dinner: How did you live like Jesus today?
- What do you think our symbol is today?
- Now whenever you see this candle you can remember that Jesus shows us we can live like him
- Color in the candle and then we will put the square on our cubes
Big Idea: When we pray, we remember that God has the power to answer our prayers
- A blindfold
Opening Activity – Trust Fall Read the rest of this entry
Big Idea: Being a follower of Jesus means letting him be the leader
- two square pieces of paper for each person in the devotions
- a blanket and a sheet
- a Bible to read the story Read the rest of this entry