Celebrating Advent as a Family
Posted by joelnewton
If your kids are anything like ours, you have to work like crazy to fight against the consumerism of the holidays. Retailers are convincing our children they need the newest toy or electronic device. We can quickly be smothered by consumerism and lose sight of real reason we celebrate this season.
To help our family focus on Christmas and the birth of the Son of God, we intentionally celebrate Advent during the weeks leading up to Christmas. Here are some great resources for celebrating Advent and focusing your family on the birth of Christ:
- Advent Family Devotions from Advent Conspiracy
- If your kids love crafts, here are 24 days of Advent crafts from Truth in the Tinsel
- Relational and handmade gift ideas from Advent Conspiracy
- This year our family is going to use the Jesse Tree during Advent which focuses on the historical moments that lead up to the birth of Christ
- Here’s a great list of other Advent traditions from Simple Mom
This December, at Mountair Christian Church we are preaching through the four Advent messages of Worship Fully, Spend Less, Give More and Love All from Advent Conspiracy.
Here’s a preview of their focus this Advent: