Jesus is the Vine: Lent Family Devotions
- Take your children outside or to a park and find a bush or a tree in your hard that is budding for spring
- What does this plant need to grow?
- Does this plant produce anything? (flowers, leaves, fruit, etc.)
- What happens if a branch breaks off? Does it still grow?
- Today we are going to look at a story in the Bible where Jesus compares us to branches
- Read John 15:1-4
- “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunest so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
- Who is the vine or the tree? (Jesus)
- Who are the branches? (us)
- How do we produce fruit? (remain in Jesus)
- How do we remain in Jesus?
- When we talk to Jesus and grow closer to him, what is the fruit that we produce? (reference the fruit of the Spirit from Galatians 5:22-23)
- So if we grow closer to Jesus and get to know him more, he will give us the strength to do good things
- Can we do good things without Jesus’ strength?
- What is one way you can grow closer to Jesus this week?
- What fruit of the Spirit do you hope you will start showing because you are growing closer to Jesus?
- What do you think our symbol is for tonight?
- The vine and the branches reminds us that when we grow closer to Jesus we will produce good fruit
- Color the staff and we will put on the cube
Here is the design for the cube that can be printed on card stock and cut out.
Here are the symbol cut outs for each week.