Jesus is Our Shepherd: Lent Family Devotions for 3/18/2012
This Lent Family Devotion is a big one for our girls. A few weeks ago when we talked about Jesus being the light and turned off the lights in our house, the girls freaked out in fear. They are scared to go back to the laundry room and get their shoes because it is dark back there. We are continually reinforcing the idea that when we are scared we need to pray to God for strength.
- Review the symbols have talked about so far. Use the cube as reminders.
- Tonight we are going to look at another symbol of who Jesus is
- Do you ever get scared?
- What scares you the most?
- Draw a picture of you being scared. You can even draw what you are scared of. Don’t fill up the whole sheet of paper though. Leave some room.
- Tonight we are going to find out what Jesus says about being afraid
- Read John 10:14-15
- “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.”
- How is Jesus like a shepherd?
- How did Jesus lay his life down for us?
- Read Psalm 23:4
- “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
- David wrote this Psalm. Do you remember what David did before he was a king? (he was a shepherd)
- David knew what it meant to protect sheep because he was a shepherd. He knew God would protect him.
- So Jesus is our shepherd and he protects us like a shepherd
- How does this help us when we are scared?
- What should we do when we are scared?
- Now take the sheet of paper you drew on before. Draw a picture of Jesus as a shepherd protecting you.
- Daily application question: Were you scared today? What happened when you prayed?
- What do you think our symbol is for tonight?
- The shepherd’s staff reminds us that Jesus is there to protect us when we are scared
- Color the staff and we will put on the cube
Posted on March 19, 2012, in Faith@Home, Family Lent Devotions, Family Strategies and tagged Children's Ministry, faith at home, family devotion, family lent devotions, Jesus, psalm 23, shepherd. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.