Faith: Family Lent Devotions for Week of March 14
Big Idea: When we pray, we remember that God has the power to answer our prayers
- A blindfold
Opening Activity – Trust Fall
- Say: We are going to start with a little activity. It might be hard for some of you.
- Have your spouse put on the blindfold and talk them through what they will do
- Say: First you will put on the blindfold and stand up tall. Fold your arms across your body and don’t bend your knees. When I say go you will fall backwards and I will catch you.
- Have each child do the trust fall after you do it with your spouse.
- Ask: How does it feel standing there with a blindfold getting ready to fall back?
- Ask: Why did you fall back? Who did you have faith in before you fell back? (that you would catch them)
- Say: Today we are going to learn about a man in the Bible who had faith in Jesus
- Say: Close your eyes and as I read the story picture in your mind what it might look like. Think about how it might smell. What would the weather be like? What would Jesus look like?
- Read Luke 7:1-10
- What do you think the disciples were thinking when they saw this?
- Who did the centurion have faith in?
- Why do you think he knew Jesus would heal his servant?
- When we pray, do we have faith that God can answer our prayers?
- How do we know that God has the power to answer our prayers?
- Spend some time praying for needs around you. Pray for those in Japan who are suffering.
- Take a picture of your children holding up the blindfold (or even take a picture of the trust fall in progress) and save the picture
- Save the picture because we will use this to make a collage at the end of Lent